Roasted Butternut Squash Soup with Pistachio Cream
Easy, Quick, Weekday, Spring, Vegan, Vegetarian, Pistachios, Italian, Asparagus, Gremolata, Side Dish, Gluten-Free
1 large butternut squash
3 medium apples, skin on (we used gala apples)
3 medium red onions, you may use any type of onions
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground ginger powder
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/8 tsp cardamom
For the pistachio crema:
1 - 5 ounce bag of Setton Farms Raw Pistachio Kernels
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground black pepper
1 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
1) Preheat oven to 400ºF
2) Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
3) Cut ends of the butternut squash, then cut it in half. Cut each half in half and scoop the seeds out. Cut apples in half, remove the core. Peel the onions, cut in half. Place everything cut side down on baking sheets. Drizzle olive oil and a little salt on the onions and apples.
4) Bake for 1 hour or until the butternut squash is tender.
5) Soak 1 cup of the pistachio kernels in 1 cup of boiling water for 30 minutes.
6) Chop the remaining 1/4 cup of pistachios and set aside.
7) Once the pistachios are done soaking, place them in high-speed blender with their soaking water, salt, black pepper and nutritional yeast. Blend until creamy, adding more water (not boiling) as necessary for create a thick creamy consistency.
8) Once the veggies are roasted, remove them from oven and let them cool.
9) Remove the skin of the butternut squash and place in a large soup pot with the apples, onions, any juices that may have come out, 4 cups of water, salt, cinnamon, ginger, black pepper, cardamom and maple syrup.
10) Cook for 15 minutes, let the soup cool and then blend until smooth and creamy.
11) Before serving add some pistachio crema, chopped pistachios and black.
In this recipe
Picked fresh from our family’s orchards in California, these premium, raw pistachios have been shelled for your snacking pleasure. Along with a vibrant green hue, you’ll enjoy the distinctive flavors and powerful health benefits of our raw pistachios the way nature intended.
Let your taste buds do some exploring
You might also like these other tasty recipes featuring California Pistachios.