Pistachio Caramel Cheesecake
1 ½ cups vanilla wafer cookies
½ cup Setton Farms Raw Pistachio Kernels
2 tablespoons vegan butter
1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon sea salt
½ cup Setton Farms Raw Pistachio Kernels, + 2 tbs for garnish
¾ cups plain non-dairy milk
2 containers vegan cream cheese (8 oz/container)
½ cup organic evaporated cane sugar
2 tablespoons organic flour
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, plus zest of ½ lemon
2 tablespoons neutral tasting oil, (safflower oil)
½ teaspoon almond or pistachio extract
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
1) Pre-heat oven to 350°.
2) Place all crust ingredients in a food processor and pulse until uniform. The mixture should be a crumbly even consistency when pulsed approximately 20 - 25 times.
3) Spray a spring form pan, lined with parchment, with a high-heat cooking spray and even out crust, using damp hands or a measuring cup. Bake for 10 minutes.
4) To high-powered blender add pistachios and non-dairy milk and blend until smooth and uniform. Add cream cheese, sugar, flour, lemon juice and zest, oil, almond or pistachio extract, and salt.
5) Pour filling into crust and tap mixture a few times to release bubbles. Bake for about 40 minutes, or until mixture looks slightly browned on top and feels firmer when you shake pan slightly.
6) For caramel sauce, add dates and water to small pot. Cook about 5 minutes to soften. Place in blender and add brown rice syrup, salt and vanilla. Blend until uniform. Set aside.
7) Allow cheesecake to cool on counter for at least 30 minutes and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight before serving. Top with additional pistachios and drizzle with caramel when serving.