Beet and Radicchio Salad with Goat Cheese and Pistachios
Yields 6 appetizer - size servings
- 2 pounds red beets, peeled, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2 cup (8tablespoons) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, more to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 head radicchio, cut into bite size pieces (about 4 cups)
- 1 large head endive, cut into bite - sized pieces (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 4 ounces goat cheese, cut into cubes
- 2/3 cup shelled, roasted California pistachios, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- In a large bowl, toss together the beets, 2 tablespoons oil, 1/2 tablespoon vinegar, and some salt and pepper. Arrange beets in a single layer on baking sheet and cover with foil. Bake for 20 minutes, then uncover and bake until tender and golden around edges, about 20 minutes more. Cool, transfer to a small bowl.
- With mortar and pestle, or the back of a knife, mash garlic with 1/2 teaspoon salt to form a paste. In a small bowl, whisk together with remaining 2 tablespoons vinegar, then remaining 6 tablespoons oil and the tarragon. Season with pepper and additional salt, if necessary.
- Toss beets with 2 tablespoons vinaigrette. In a large bowl, combine radicchio, endive and parsley. Toss with remaining vinaigrette. Add beets and goat cheese, and toss gently. Serve garnished with pistachios.
Resource: NY Times online January 21, 2009